Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Get You Dancing Shoes, It's Time to Salsa

Saturday night I went salsa dancing at the new place on the East side of town called Ibiza. It's a nice club, but I definitely don't like it as much as Caliente. Unfortunately, my favorite salsa spot Caliente is losing business and will probably be closing soon. I'd say only 15-30 people may show up the entire night, which we all know is not very good business. What kills me is how popular Caliente was just one year ago when they would pack at least 400 people in there a night. I miss the good old days of salsa dancing downtown. Now, I have to drive an extra 10 million miles to the East side of town for my salsa fix, and we all know with gas prices as high as they are, an extra 10 million miles is not appreciated.

Despite the cost, I had a ball. There is something so classy and pure about salsa dancing because it's so traditional. The man asks you to dance, he leads you, and when your finished he says, "Thank-you for dancing with me," and leads you off the dance floor. It's a sophisticated atmosphere that can not be replicated in any other booty shaking joint, yet it's not as up-tight or snobby as ballroom dancing. It's a place where women are sexy, men are charming, and everything is as it should be. Now, I admit that woman try to be sexy everywhere, but I have yet to meet a charming man outside of the salsa dancing atmosphere. It's like men have forgotten how to be charming over the years. Instead of unique personal style and sincere smiles, I get terrible pick up lines such as, "Is that the key to your car or the key to your heart." I don't want to hear that. What I want is someone to twirl me around the floor, smile sweetly in my face, and dance cheek to cheek with me. That's what heaven is.

What was so great about everyone I danced with Saturday night was that everyone's style was so different. Everyone prided themselves on their unique moves and their unique flavor and they showed no shame. I saw them break it down to do the snake, the robot, wobble knees, vogue, and much more. These people don't mind being silly and doing what feels good to them. If I went to any hip-hop club, it would be the exact opposite. Every man would take pride in the fact that he can do the exact same 4 moves as everyone else, and would try desperately to hide any distinguishing characteristics about himself. Don't do that. Be yourself, be unique, entertain me with your ridiculous moves. I might actually find it endearing.

To my surprise, many of the regular faces from my beloved Caliente have also switched over to the new club. First, we have my favorite dance partner who I will call Teach because he has taught me practically everything I know about salsa dance. He's a very energetic older man in his 50's who is still able to get down and party like he's 18 years old. I've been dancing with him for 3-4 years now and still don't know a single thing about him. He doesn't speak English. I don't speak Spanish, and I think we will never learn each other's language. Then again what is there really to talk about. I think there's a good possibility that I may like salsa places so much simply because no one can say a stupid line to me or if they do I can just say that they don't speak English very well anyway.

Then there was the Most Beautiful Man in the World. Why this man lives in Nashville is beyond me. He should seriously be living in New York or L.A. doing some type of photo shoot, not walking the same Earth as us normal people in Nashville. I have seen the Most Beautiful Man in the World at Caliente for the past 2 years and he still won't pay me any attention. I mean I know I'm not a latina but can I get a little attention please. Then there was Curly Haired Man who has a different girlfriend every two months.

Finally, I saw Guy who looks just like the guy I used to date or could even be the guy I used to date but I can't remember exactly. I know that sounds horrible, but these two men look so similar I really can't tell the difference anymore. My Guy and I had a glorious month together before he disappeared. I don't know if he died or if he went back to what ever country he came from, but I surely never saw him again. However, right after Guy disappeared another man who looked just like him started going to Caliente, which annoyed me because every time I would see him, my heart would start beating faster, but was disappointed when I realized it wasn't my Guy. Anyway, last night I really couldn't tell if it was my Guy or Guy Who Looks Like My Guy. He had the same smile and he danced cheek to cheek like my guy did, but this one was a bit thinner than my guy and I think a little darker too. He did have a momentary glimmer of recognition in his eyes, and there really was no reason for him to walk all the way across the room to ask me to dance if he didn't know me. I wanted so badly to ask, "Was I kissy face with you a year ago," but somehow that just didn't seem very appropriate. Anyway, even if he was my Guy what would we really have to say to one another now.

Sometimes, I think I truly have problems letting the past die. I can't seem to left go of my old club Caliente for the new one and I can't seem to left go of these old faces for the new. Though there is so much comfort in the past, it will not yield any growth or any new wisdom. I must not dwell on the familiarity of the past, but explore the freshness of the new.

1 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Barefoot in Blue said...

Girl! don't get me started on Caliente! I had been going there for about 4 years too and that's where I learned to sals (or whatever the hell it is I think I'm doing!) I agree with you 100%. It is wonderful to dance with a guy, and have his univided attention for a moment. Face to face dancing is the norm, you wouldn't do it any other place. Ibiza is a great place I agree, but nothing can beat Caliente, it was such a club family. I keep telling you Kentra, you need to snatch up Most Beautiful Man On Earth (I call him Designer Jeans) he stands around a lot, put it on him girl, handle your business. I never jumped on My Fat Husband, and you see where that left us! (smile).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home