Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

My Inexplicable Celebrity Crush

I know it’s normal to have a celebrity crush, and that many people even keep a current top 5 list of celebrities they are attracted to locked in their memory banks. However, I have never been too serious about the matter. I’ve had the same three celebrity crushes since the age of fifteen. First there was Lenny Kravitz because he had the most beautiful dreadlocks, and his music opened my ears to rock. Second, there was Tiger Woods, because I was positive that I was going to meet and marry him, but some Swedish girl beat me to it. Finally, there was Antonio Banderas because accents are sexy. For seven years, the list has stayed the same, but on this memorable day I officially add a new celebrity to my list.

You would think that today would be a day of joy for me, adding fresh blood to an aging list, but I am torn. Usually, my celebrity crushes make sense to me, but this one doesn’t. You see I understood why I liked Lenny, Tiger, and Antonio, so I could be at peace about being irrational when they were interviewed on TV or when their picture was in a magazine. My new celebrity crush, however, makes no sense what so ever. Even my good friend Barefoot in Blue will not accept this man as legitimate crush. I’m almost to the point of feeling ashamed about my new crush, but I must confess it. I am totally digging on Gerard Way, the lead singer of My Chemical Romance. Now, I’m not looking for full girlfriend status. I just want to hold his absolutely adorable face in my hands and smooch on him for about 30 minutes and then send him back on the road to play his music. Isn’t that the most random crush, you ever heard? It’s beyond me why I like him so much. He’s not particularly handsome. He’s not opening my ears to a new style of music. He doesn’t even have an amazing rock and roll voice or accent. I don’t find anything particularly special about this kid, yet every time I see his video or listen to the band’s CD I can’t help but smiling. I think it was the “Helena” video that did it for me. He was just so dramatic carrying the coffin out of the church and everything. I was moved. He has that certain je ne sais quoi, and there is something about the contrast between his pale skin and the dyed black hair that does it for me. Mr. Way just seems very real to me, and it makes me happy just knowing that he exists.



We would make a cute couple for at least thirty minutes, don’t you think? Anyway, this new addition to my crush list is really making me wonder what makes us attracted to a person. I was so certain a year ago what type of person I would be attracted to, but all my old standards have clearly been thrown out the window and what I like is not very consistent anymore. But surely there must be someone else out there with an inexplicable celebrity crush. Share them if you wish so I won’t feel so alone.

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger Barefoot in Blue said...

eck, eck, eck...He looks like a spoon. Or a chubby girl from Utah striving to find herself in the goth world...I am not one to juge one's crushes because I have some ridiculous ones under my belt but...come now Kenra, this is ridiculous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home