Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

I Survived It All!

On the outside, I seem to adapt well to change, but on the inside, change makes me want to go hide under a rock until everything goes back to normal again. There has been nothing but changes at work because the Fossil is retiring. They gave me a crash course in phlebotomy and ECG usage and then flung me into the clinic with a needle and some electrodes in my hand, patted me on the back, and told me good luck.

The ECG was pretty easy to master, but I still get so nervous when it comes time for the blood draw that my hand starts to shake. I don’t even know why I get so nervous about it. I guess I just feel bad about poking someone with a needle and making them bleed even if it is for a good cause. Despite of my shaky fingers, I’ve completed 5 blood draws so far, and I done all of them on the first stick. I’m so proud! However, I have always been supervised for my blood draws, but starting next week I’m on my own and it makes me sick to my stomach to think of doing a blood draw, without having some moral support behind me. Even though, I like having the Fossil around when I’m drawing blood, I am so happy to see her go. Today is her last day and I was jumping for joy when I saw her leave early today. I just shook my head and thanked the Lord for letting her be so lazy that she couldn’t even put in a full day of work on her last day.

I’ve also been cleaning house with my social life, finally getting Rocky out of my present and into my past. It was definitely a struggle, but I think that he has finally realized that I’m never going to take him back and has at last stopped calling me and has stopped leaving little presents at my door.

But the most worthwhile change of all was finally getting my own apartment. I move in May 1st and can’t not wait to finally have my own place with no roommates, no parental units, just me. This weekend, I’m going on a furniture shopping spree for living room and bedroom sets. I’m probably going to spend a small fortune and run up a few credit card bills, but my mother says that now’s the time to get what I want even if it’s a little expensive. She says that once life starts to happen with marriage and children that I will spend the rest of my life settling for what is practical instead of what I want. I should treat myself to luxury while I can and before one thing really does lead to another.

It’s still amazing to me how many changes that I’ve made this month. I’ve definitely experienced a few growing pains, but each ache of exchanging my old habits for some new wisdom was well worth the effort. April did more that just shower a little change over me. It quite literally picked me up, tore me apart, and created a new me. Luckily, it seems that the worst of the storms are over, andnow all that I have left to do is to sit back and enjoy the bloom of all of my May flowers.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home