Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Fossil Retires!!!! :o)


As you already know, I have less than agreeable co-workers. and more often than not I want to rip their throats out. The two main causes of my weekly headaches are a doctor that I endearingly call the Bitch, and a nurse that I despisingly call the Fossil. Lately, the Bitch has surprised me with her happy go luckily attitude. She has not been bitchy in nearly three months now, and I beginning to have hope (knock on wood) that me and her are going to have a good relationship in the future. However, the Fossil has not improved her attitude one iota over the last three months and now her work is getting mighty sloppy. She is never on time for anything, forgets about building meetings, takes one hour to do what takes the average person 30 minutes to do, and has the worst attitude I’ve ever seen. All she has to do is take patients vital signs, and occasionally do a blood draw or an ECG. It’s a very simple job, but she still finds a way to fuck everything up.

She only shows up when she feels like it. For example, she could know about a doctor’s appointment for a month, but she won’t tell be about it until the day before completely messing up the schedule. Plus, she likes to put a power trip on the patients, making them wait at least 10 minutes before she will work with them, even when she is not busy. And somehow she is under the delusion that all of the patients adore her, but the truth is that half of the patients hate her guts. She is the major reason why we have such a high drop out rate on our Depakote research study. That study involves her making medication packets for the patients and sometimes it takes her 45 minutes to an hour to make the medication packet. I know I’m working in a mental health clinic and everything, but who in their right mind wants to wait an additional 45 minutes to an hour just to get research medication? She really doesn’t realize how much of a burden she is, and most of the research staff is glad to see her go.

When she announced her last day, I really had to grip my chair firmly to avoid jumping up and cheering in the middle of staff meeting. April 27th is the last dreadful day that I will have to spend with her and from there after, my soul will be at peace again. The only bad thing about this situation is that instead of hiring a new nurse to fill her position, they are training me to do her job. It means more work for me and less free time, but I tell you what, I rather do a little extra work than have the Fossil around. Plus, I’m excited to get free lessons in phlebotomy, CPR, and ECG administration. Who knows what doors these certifications could open for me?

Even though, this job can be a little bit of a hassle sometimes, I really feel like it has benefited me so much, giving me beau coups of experiences you can’t find in most entry-level positions. My heart keeps on suffering about what my next move is going to be and what I’m going to do with the rest of my life, but sometimes I just need to chill out and realize that I’m doing well for myself. That experience is priceless and no amount of schooling could teach me all that I’ve learned this year.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Barefoot in Blue said...

Hahaha!! I love the picture with everyone high-fiving! Hilarious! So glad you are through with her madness, you are really cleaning house!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home