Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Inspiration Strikes!

Yesterday, I was determined to write, so I sat down at my computer and worked a bit on my Nanowrimo novel. I wrote three pages, but I wasn’t happy with anything that I created. The writing was sub-par and would never have a chance of being published. I really was starting to wonder how did a story about space-traveling yetis ever sound like a good idea to me. I naively thought that I could somehow make it a serious book, even along the lines of an Animal Farm-sque commentary on the evils of human nature and politics, highlighting man’s discrimination and hate crimes against the peaceful yetis, but I simply couldn’t capture the spirit. It was an ambitious project to take on and I’m just not skilled enough to do it justice at this point in my life.

However, out of frustration came one small success. I decided to look at an even older manuscript of mine called The Sorrows of Young Sarah. After reading the first chapter, I fell in love with the story all over again, and I knew that this was the story that I was meant to tell. The story is refreshing to work on because it mirrors my own life so perfectly. It’s not that Sarah and I share the same experiences, it just that we think and reflect about the world in the same way. In so many ways, Sarah is me so it’s very easy to develop her character, because to understand her is to understand myself and there is nothing more rewarding than that.

I think that I was trying to do too much with the yeti book, with underground yeti cities and dozens of characters. It was just too much for a novice writer to handle, but the wise simplicity of my novel about Sarah should be a lot easier to nail down. As we all know, I’ve been following the wrong path for a long time now, and I think this shift in gears in my writing is just another step in the right direction.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home