Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

I'm Getting Out

I officially know now, that the mental health profession is not for me. I’m so disheartened with the entire process. It just doesn’t work and the patients will never get any better. It’s not even that I’m disappointed in the doctors. They truly are doing the best that they can with the legal restrictions that are placed upon them. It’s just the very nature of mental illness. Even the most thorough, most talent psychiatrist only has marginal success in improving symptoms. I hate to get so cynical at such a young age, but I’m really starting to see that some patients are hopeless. There’s this one in particular who I was so concerned about when I first started this job because bad things kept happening to her and she would call us every two weeks in a new crisis. She would always insist that if we would just adjust her medication by 1mg that somehow it would fix everything, but that’s never the case. Now, I feel myself sighing and rolling my eyes when ever she calls, because I know the situation is not as serious as she makes it seems, and that she gets herself into this trouble so she has only herself to blame.

All the psychiatry field is about is maintaining marginal functioning and praying that the patient doesn’t work themselves into another hospitalization and I’m tried of being part of such mediocrity. There’s got to be something better out there for me. Now, don’t worry, I’m not quitting my job anytime soon. I’m just renewing my search once again to write and to find a new career path for myself.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home