Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Friday, June 02, 2006

I Need Your Input

The weekend could not be coming at a better time, because my new job is really making me lose my mind. I can deal with the patients and the basic tasks that are in my job description easy enough, and I actually enjoy my work on most occasions. It's my co-workers and my supervisors that keep making my job so confusing and who keep adding more drama to an already tense situation.

Since they fired two of my co-workers, they have been doing a corporate re-shuffle. Today, they interviewed me for one of their permanent research associate positions, but I felt so underhanded interviewing for the same job that was supposed to go to my fired co-worker. My supervisors all told me not to tell her about it so I didn't, but it just felt wrong doing so. I hate keeping secrets, and it's just making an already tense work environment even tenser.

Anyway, awkward work situation put aside, I don't even know if I want the job. At first, I was overjoyed about the job because it would be a salaried position with benefits. I've been drooling over jobs like that ever since I graduated from college. However, I'm starting to wonder if a salary and benefits is truly worth the stress and the risk to my physical well being.

For this project, I will be going into the homes of mentally ill adults who are also working on their substance and alcohol abuse problems. My job is to enroll them in a trial treatment program and then interview them 6 months later to see if the program is actually helping them. In general the study sounds fascinating. My main concern is going into these strangers' homes. I don't mean to be so discriminating or biased, but these people have been diagnosed with some serious mental illnesses and then add substance and alcohol abuse on top of that. It can't be a good combination. I'm perfectly fine meeting with these people in the clinical environment, but outside the clinic, I'm not so sure. It's not that I truly believe that I would be butchered and torn into little tiny unidentifiable pieces, but I just think that there is a security risk there that I'm not willing to take. Please let me know what you think, cause I need all the input I can get.

5 Comments:

At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have good reason to be concerned. After all, if you feel uneasy, there's usually a good reason why. Did your employers identify security measures to make sure you were kept safe in your routine work day?

And I know what you mean about work stress. No matter how nice a job is, if you always feel keyed up or edgy or uncomfortable, then there's no way to really enjoy your work.

I don't know what to tell you except taking whatever off time you have to do a Plan B. So, whether or not you choose to keep your current job, you still have an idea where you want to go afterward.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Kendra said...

My entire world is about to turn into a big Plan B. I think that I've decided to turn down the job and just work on my novel again for a while. I'm tried of working hard for other people and not feeling appreciated. It's time that I work hard for myself and either shine boldly or fail miserably.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Marc Anthony Richardson said...

i agree with dee. take a moment to be still and let your first instinct pop up, trust it, then act accordingly and [ratically. i've been in the social service field for over ten years in San Fran, New york, Philly, and many over cities with almost every populaton, age, and disorder. i've been kicked, bitten (on the chest), punched (by a forteen year old as tall as me; i'm 6'o), had cops pulled guns out on me, driven a man to the hospital who was shot in the butt and waited three days, and put into a squad car to help calm down a client. now i'm trying to take it easy and write a novel, maybe even illustrate it. point is if yo want more experience in the field, it is always worth it, knowing the plight, but be careful. i wish i could offer more.

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet news on the novel. can we make each other accountable for progress? i've been thinking increasingly more about writing on being on the bottom of the employment chain.

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nonfiction work based on job satisfaction -- gonna try to make it entertaining at some point. I've got one interview to prepare for now, and I'll just write where I write. I'll worry about organization and such later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home