Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I Did Ask For It

Remember that research job that I was so excited about nearly two months ago? Well, at long last they finally offered me the job and as soon as my background check and application are approved, I could be working there within 2-3 weeks. It feels good to finally be able to exhale and relax for a minute, because I was getting a little overwhelmed with deciding what to do with myself. I mentioned nursing once to my mother and all of a sudden she has me picking up applications at the local universities and talking about how much of my tuition she is willing to pay. It was all a little too much, too fast, and I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to find myself in the shuffle.

Now, I have a new opportunity to distract me, and I’m nervously awaiting the chance to prove myself as the best research analyst anyone has ever seen. The permanent position that the company thought might be available fell through, so I’m stuck in a temporary one for one of their brief 4 month projects. Once this study is done, they hope to reassign me to another project, but that’s no guarantee. After 4 months they could put me back on the street without anything but a new company to list on my resume. However, I suppose that this uncertainty could be looked at as a gift in disguise. After all, this trail run is a safe way for both the company and myself to test the waters to see whether or not our professional relationship is a good fit, because as I have learned from my blogger friend Dee, getting the job is not always the blessing that you hoped it would be.

However, until both the company and myself are satisfied that we are a good fit for one another, I am forced to keep my current part-time job, which means 13 hour days for a total of 60 billable hours a week. I get exhausted even thinking about the magnitude of what I’m taking on here, especially since I’ve taken it so easy the last year, only working 30 hours week on most occasions, but I’ll just have to grin in bear it. It’s not everyday that you get exactly what you ask for, so there can be no reaction other than one of gratitude.

4 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Girliedydy said...

O yeah I'd love to do that myself too, but I dont have the money to do so either. Thanks for the complement on the page!!!

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We certainly don't always get exactly what we ask for but rest assured we get precisely what we need. It seems as though you are going into this the best way possible by keeping your other job and viewing it as a way for both you and the company to see if it's a good fit. After the 4 months, project or no project, if they value you as an employee they will make room for you. At least, any right thinking company would.
Best wishes for success to you and much more,
Peace...................

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Girliedydy said...

Kendra,
Sorry for not responding to the post the first time around. I know exactly how you feel. As you know,I am a customer service slave(o I mean rep)and I prayed for a job where it was less stressful and rigid . Now I have the job, I am happy here but I miss the nerves on edge and high stress the other job gave me. But keep in mind to get what you want you may loose other aspects just which is what I am learning here. I agree with what Helen said, if this is the job you have been hoping the job will come of it's own. All in all , I do hope it the new job works out for you.
O yeah, had my own 24 hour crush on Wed at a poetry reading.

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on the temporary gig. Hopefully it'll lead to something better. Even if it doesn't, learn what you can and keep truckin'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home