Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I've Won a...I Guess Just a Little Self-Respect



After a full month of suffering, of creative bliss, of carpal tunnel, of overheating laptops, of lack of sleep, and of finding my voice through written expression, I have finally finished my NaNoWriMo novel with 7 hours and 25 minutes to spare. Even though all of you in cyberspace may not be able to see it, I am doing the legendary dance of joy that Balki on Perfect Strangers brought all the way to America from Mepos.

I can't express to you how proud of myself I am. I haven't done anything this constructive since I graduated college. Although my novel is by no means perfect, it is a very solid first draft that if I'm patient I can mold and weave into a little gem. I can't believe how much the story has developed and changed over the last month. It started off being this silly farce about space-traveling yetis, but it has developed into so much more than that. It has changed into a study of human nature and gives a realistic vignette into how the human race might react if it suddenly had to share the world with a species very different from their own.

It's definitely a story that I must work with and polish, but for right now I think I've worked hard enough and it's time to go back to my life of play.

2 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger genderist said...

Congrats! It's huge to accomplish such a lofty goal. Good for you.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger MrV said...

I love the "Balki" reference, I would try that dance myself sometime but I can tell you it would not be pretty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home