Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I Have a Dream I'm Just Not Sure What It Means

I love having dreams. To me they are like watching mini, action-packed movies while you're sleeping and sometimes the drama is so real and vivid, all that's missing is a tub of popcorn. Besides their entertainment value, I'm convinced that dreams do have some meaning. A friend told me once that he thought dreams were merely random flashes of things that are in our subconscious mind, which makes sense but is not a very satisfying answer to me. What about those few times when your dreams are about the future. On a least a dozen occasions, I've had dreams that come true within a year or two. This makes me wonder when a dream does come true if this means that I'm on the right track and that I'm following the right path, or that I'm repeating the same mistakes I did in a previous life and I still haven't learned my lesson.

Regardless of whether this dega vue is a good or a bad occurrence, I definitely don't have to worry about my dream from last night coming true in a few years. It was more symbolic than anything else and trying to figure out it's meaning kept me up for an hour after I had it. In my dream, I was racing a bicycle up a hill with some kids from my elementary school. I'm not an experienced biker so the climb was a bit of a challenge for me and I was busy shifting gears to see if I could find a gear that would make the climb a bit easier on my legs when all of a sudden these long thick earthworms start to appear in the road and I swerve to miss them while all my friends are using their bikes to jump on the earthworms and send worm pieces flying everywhere. There's only one other girl that is trying to avoid touching the earthworms, but she eventually gets hit in the head by one because for some reason after a while the earthworms start flying at anything that moves. I'm the only one who makes it out the the earthworm battlefield without getting hit, and as I'm sitting on the side of the rode trying to catch my breathe I wake up.

I thought this dream was so interesting because I've never had a dream about worms before. I mostly have dreams involving huge black anacondas, and angry green serpents flashing there fangs, but never relatively small red and white earth worms. So today I searched to find an interpretation of what my dream could mean and I found one that made a lot of sense on dreammoods.com. They said that "To dream that you are riding a bicycle, signifies your desires to attain a balance in your life. You need to balance work and pleasure in order to succeed in your current undertakings. If you have difficulties riding the bicycle, then it suggests that you are experiencing anxieties about making it on your own." I was blown away by this interpretation of my dream because it's so right on that it's frightening. My struggle on the bike represents my struggle to make it independently and the worms flying at my head represents weakness and negativity of other people around me but I never allow them to touch me. It's so refreshing to figure out what my subconscious mind is trying to tell me. It's like having all aspects of who you are finally working together and communicating properly. I must continue to try to remember my dreams and search for their interpretation. Who knows, maybe the answer to world peace and cancer exists in my dreams.

2 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

That was a very thrilling dream and I agree with your symbolic interpretation of it.

I wish you all the best this year.

Excel!

God bless you always.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger ninjapoodles said...

I've enjoyed the time spent on your blog--glad I stumbled upon it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home