Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

PDA

I was called "cold" for the first time in my life this weekend, and though the Columbian didn't say it in an offensive way, there are just certain words that are insulting no matter how kindly you say them. On a scale of relativity, the Columbian is right. I'm not even half as affectionate as he is, and what worries me about that is that I don't know if I could ever be as open with my emotions as he is. Something inside me will not allow me to show my passion for someone in the middle of a very public place. It's just not my style, and it frustrates him because every time I pull away, he's thinking that I'm not interested in him when really I'm just trying to get some air and checking to see whether or not all of Nashville is looking at the two of us with raised eyebrows.

There are some things that you just don't realize until you're with someone new who challenges you and makes you reflect about the way you've done things in the past. I'm starting to realize that my aversion for all types of public display of affection has caused me to miss out on some pretty normal relationship milestones. Even holding hands in public is an awkward experience for me, and my tension surrounding such a simple form of affection is really making me doubt my ability to love. Maybe my timid nature is bordering on frigidity or perhaps the problem isn't truly with me alone, but instead a conflict of two different affection ideals. My preference is slow, gentle embraces with a lot of Eskimo type kisses whereas his actions are so much faster, stronger, and direct that sometimes, I just want to push him away and say, "Could you please stop trying to engulf my entire head in one swallow, and hold me the way that you do when we're dancing," but I neither have the courage nor the Spanish language skills to say this or any of the other things that I feel. I can see myself making the same mistake with the Columbian that I've made with all the others, leaping without looking and falling into his arms simply because they are open to me. However, open arms are never enough. Communication is the key and our language barrier is a big problem that only time can remedy. So it appears that I will not be running off into the sunset with the Columbian as soon as I thought. There is still so much left to discuss and so many gaps left to bridge, and I fear that if we don't at least find some middle ground between his hot and my cold then our spark is doomed to fizzle out before it even starts to burn.

3 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger Kendra said...

Odiseo,

Thanks so much for your comment. It's good to know that I'm not alone is this conflict of affection. I'm curious to know if you and your european friend were able to find a middle ground or if your differences were just too great to surmont.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Girliedydy said...

K

I know I know a long time since I've left a message . I don't think it is just limited to Latinos, I have experienced anything out side of American culture has a lot more touchy (public) display of physical emotions. Like, you I am not a huge fan of PDA other than a hug , a peck on the cheek or hand holding but anything outside of that is plain crazy and unneeded. Because of your difference it doesn't make you a bad romantic partner but a little more cautious yet if you want to experiment with PDA in public maybe a night when the light is less on. I hope it works out but keep in mind that the relationship holds more than physical

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Girliedydy said...

Kendra,

Thanks for the condolences. Yeah, I have been and each day I am letting go a piece of my past to replace it with the future. Each time I let go I start to feel better. Thanks for seeing what I have learned as a learning tool yourself. That was the secret part of why I started writing publicly was to reach people and help them through me. I don’t say that on my about me page because it’s so commonly said and I don’t want to appear like I’m following a trend( also it helps me to move on from stuff I have repressed)

You’re welcome!!! I’m sorry that things have gone poorly with you and Columbian but, I’m glad he’s gone. I know it’s mean to say that but chica he wasn’t the right blend for you at this point in your life. The right man is our there and he will appreciate all of your normality and quirkiness.

O my, dropped on your head, ouch! I’m glad you’re okay but I understand the first response. When things are really wrong and solutions are far away the mind wants to slip away till all sense of reason comes back. I’m glad the reaction surprised you and you were not desensitized by it which means there is light still there. Its okay to see that you want to heal but never let those feels dictate your life (which believe me is hard but it’s possible to cope with it). This may have been a one time deal but keep a mental/written note of it so that if it ever happens to creep up again you have a battle plan to deal with it.

See, there is the light that wants to shine. Let it shine for other people! Yeah those feelings come but again keep track of what is going on in your life as to why the feelings arise and combat them. Things will become better!!!

Take care

 

Post a Comment

<< Home