Welcome to My Living Novel

In my world, the plot is always thickening.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Reluctantly Upgrading

I’m starting to think that I will never get out of debt. Just as I was rejoicing about my raise and the balance on my credit card getting smaller and smaller, my laptop decided to take a turn for the worst. My floppy disk drive gave out on me, and the worst part is that there seems to be no replacing it. I’ve always owned hand me down computers, which were completely functional just not very up to date. I'm usually cool with that though because I’m not a big gadget person. I have no desire to update my Playstation One, for any of the latest systems. I refuse to spend my money on a Ipod because I really do enjoy carrying 50 pounds worth of CDs around with me (what can I say, I’m a big fan of cover art). So of course I feel the same way about my computer. I've been working off of Windows 95 for the last 7 years and had no desire to upgrade. The computer itself still works fine. It's only the floppy drive that needs replacing, but it’s impossible to find an external floppy drive that is compatible with Windows 95.

I nearly cried in the store when they told me that there was no hope for my ancient electronic friend, and I was furious at how expensive it is to set up a new computer. I mean I don’t mind paying $800 for a desktop, but when you have to add an extra $150 for Microsoft Word, an extra $100 a modem, an extra $80 for wireless internet connections, and an extra $40 for a printer cable, all of those little extras get you to the point that you want to hit someone. Especially since I’ve always gotten my computers second-hand, the thought of paying $150 for software that I’ve always gotten for free, seemed preposterous to me.

Anyway, my temper has finally cooled down now that I actually have the new computer in my house. It’s absolutely beautiful with its glistening 22 inch screen and the brand new desk that it’s sitting on. I spent entirely too much money on it, and it’s going to take me 6 months to pay it all off, but I think it’s worth it. Knowing me I’ll probably keep the thing forever. Plus, I now have a $1500 reason to finish my novel.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home